Flat roofs are level, horizontal structures installed traditionally over building extensions, garages or commercial buildings. Even though these were unpopular for the leaks they developed and their unreliability, several experiments have been made with them and hence we have modern flat roofs, which are not just cost-effective but durable and reliable too.
A flat roofing Toronto company can give you detailed information on this but before that visit, it’s important to know more about flat roofing.
Advantages of flat roofing
- Easy to install
- Cheap and cost effective
- Easy maintenance
- Entire room space can be used
Drainage and waterproofing
Flat roofs are either built on a fall with a slight gradient or have a slight slope on one side to enable the water to drain off. Modern flat roofs mostly use single ply waterproof membranes as opposed to the earlier built-up felt roofing with joins.
Types of flat roofs
- Cold roofs have the insulation inside and the waterproof layer placed directly onto the roof deck, therefore requiring adequate ventilation. This has industrial usage.
- Warm roofs are recommended for homes as the insulation is applied above the roof deck with waterproofing on top thereby eliminating the need for ventilation and also keeping the interior warm.
Flat roof materials
- uPVC is a chemically produced plastic substance which is strong, durable, water resistant and fire resistant. This is suitable for small areas like garages or sheds. To prevent sagging during heavy rainfall or prevent brittleness over a period of time, it is best to use the materials that have been injected with extra plasticisers. However, this material is not eco-friendly as it makes use of petrol, natural gas and other fossil fuels.
- Asphalt is a sticky black liquid by-product formed during the manufacturing and distillation of crude oil. This is used to coat the flat roofs to give a waterproof cover. Continuous exposure to water can damage the roof surface, but these can be easily recoated and repaired.
- Waterproof felt flat roofing also known as EPDM has powerful elastic properties and strength. It is weatherproof and can be repaired easily. This material is well suited for roofing industrial properties. This is more expensive than the other options but is extremely popular for its versatility and durability.
- Fibreglass or glass reinforced plastic (GRP) is another versatile and dependable option suitable for domestic and industrial purposes. This is quick and easy to use and can boast of 20-30 years of service.
Although these are low maintenance roofs, a little care will go a long way.
- Keep the roof clean; don’t allow any debris to accumulate.
- Check the drainage and never allow puddles to form.
- Inspect the roof regularly to sight the least damage and get the repair done immediately.
Although the traditional flat roofs had a maximum life of 5-6 years, the modern structures guarantee up to 30 years expectancy. But the installation has to be professionally done as any faulty setting up will bring down the life of your roof. If you are at Toronto, a flat roofing Toronto company will be the best choice for your installation.
Please note: Chouinard Bros. does not recommend any homeowner complete repairs to their roof of their own. Our technicians are skilled at performing this work and have received years of training to understand how to complete repairs safely.